We are in a very new and crazy new world but in true Boy Scout spirit we have accepted the challenge and we are adapting to Scouting in a virtual world! It has been a challenge, as many of the skills we were taught were done on campouts or troop meetings, and having someone right in front of you to ask questions when you had challenges learning something new. Luckily, the exclusively virtual world will be temporary and we will go back to more on-hands execution of the EDGE method.
Practice your Scouting skills at home daily! This will allow you to become a better Scout and to keep your mind fresh and active!
That being said, Troop 205 doesn’t slow down when presented with diversity, we excel! There are many skills and requirements that are well suited for online virtual fulfilment, including some merit badges, Scoutmaster conferences, Board of Reviews, and rank advancement to name a few. See below on ways you can continue accelerating your Boy Scout journey:
- Sign-up for a Scoutmaster conference or Board of Review (SMC & BOR)
- Rank Advancement: All the information you need is in your Scout handbook, so watch the Troop Calendar (CALENDAR) for opportunities to demonstrate those skills via Zoom for us to sign off in Scoutbook. (RANK ADVANCEMENT)
- Merit Badges: Work on some fun ones at home (BSA MB LIST) and also watch the Troop Calendar (CALENDAR) for merit badges taught by the troop. If you see other Troops or BSA Councils teaching a merit badge, just let any Assistant SM know and sign up!
- Eagle Project: For Star and Life Scouts, this is a great opportunity to start picking out an Eagle Project and filling out the paperwork. Everything you need to know about earning Eagle Scout is right here (EAGLE)
- Service Hours: Just look around and see all the ways you can help. From doing lawn work for an elderly neighbour, making masks, or spreading joy, you can find a way to earn some valuable hours. Make sure to discuss your ideas with your parents and Mr Tash before you do it.
As you can see there are plenty of great ways you can keep Scouting!
PS Watch this video if you need help joining a Zoom meeting!